Thursday, October 26, 2006

Day 7

Back to the village-much earlier than normal. We spent a little time cleaning up the rest of the road on the way in to the village.


Richard and Sharolyn-picking up trash in the fog

Then headed out with Nancy and Heike to deliver bags to the other part of the village. We ended up in a part that was separated from the rest of the village by a considerable distance. Apparently that’s where the gypsies live. We met a believer and she told us that there are actually 3 families who are meeting together as a fellowship. So cool. As we continued on we met a family with an 8 year old daughter who is paralyzed. It was heartbreaking and it was all I could do to not completely break down. But I felt the presence of the Holy Spirit and trust that He’ll work.

Then it was time to head back to the school. The kids presented a program for us. It was heartbreaking as well-the young girls did a dance that was totally inappropriate for girls of their age, but sadly probably just like something they saw on MTV. They did do a traditional dance and that was really neat to see-apparently they all tell stories-I guess just like most cultures. And then it was time for Amy to sing. Wow, the enemy attacked-she could barely breathe and couldn’t stop crying. We prayed. And she sang, but when it came time to sing again she couldn’t think of a song. The enemy definitely doesn’t want to give up his territory. Bill and I joined in to help her make it through-I know I know, I can’t sing, but you do what you have to do-and it was Amazing Grace, so I’ve heard it enough times to at least get close. What’s really cool is later the girls came up and wanted to hear her sing again-and she got to sing a song all about Jesus. And then we got to learn to dance. I don’t think I laughed so hard the whole time we were there. The boys were playing futbol and we were getting laughed at.


one of the girls singing during their program for us


Amy singing for the girl at the school

And for lunch. . . Lamb. It was good to see the community come out in mass to eat and fellowship. Not my favorite meal while I was there. But it was food. The men at first so lots of women didn’t get food. And some tried to stay at the back of the line so they wanted have to have any I think.

After lunch several of the ladies set out to deliver bags in that part of the village and the guys headed to the other part. It didn’t take long for our big group to split up into two smaller ones and I ended up with Amy, Heike, and Anita. And we didn’t go very far before we were invited in for. . . .you guessed it, more Baklava. And Werther’s and chocolate candy, and yogurt, and strawberry drink. It just kept coming. There was way more food than we could eat. But we had a blast hanging out there and they asked us to pray for them.


me, Amy, and Anita with the group that offered us all the food

Just as we were walking out to take a photo the bus drove up looking for us to take us back to Block 46 for the party there. Before the party we headed out to deliver bags again. The first round I went out with Brandi and Amy. It was kind of discouraging. Hardly anyone opened the door and we got doors closed on us several times. We had two young boys with us trying to help us out, but when people didn’t open their doors they would spit on their doors-apparently a Turkish curse. We went back a little dejected. Amy was feeling well so Brandi and I headed out again with Jeffrey. Our first stop was to our friend Rose’s house. And she took us from there-all over her building and out to the back of the building. Maybe she’ll turn out to be a person of peace.


me and Brandi with "Rose" and her friends

Everybody started gathering for the meal and next thing I knew I was helping serve the lamb. In America I think I would have been totally grossed out by it, but I just did it. And actually had fun. David thought people wouldn’t come, that they’d be afraid to be involved, but there were tons of people there. It was totally worth all the hard work to see the people respond.


helping Richard, Chris, and Nancy serve lamb

Once the crowd started to clear we headed to get our own food. The Bulgarian version of a gyro. It was nice to have something that tasted so much like food you’d get in America. Then back to the hotel for devotion and off to bed.

No comments: