Thursday, September 14, 2006

Living Truth

We had a 4 day conference at church this week about our culture-how to be seperate and yet engage it. I was a little skeptical, but in the end it was amazing. We had some great speakers, specifically from Southern Seminary-Dr. Russ Moore, Dr. Bruce Ware, and Dr. William Cutrer. Each night we focused on a different aspect of our culture.
It would be really hard for me to put in to words all that I learned and was revealed to me this week. But a few things in particular stuck out:
We should embrace the strangeness of Christianity. It's actually better if we look really different than the world. Honestly, I think this really struck home mostly because of my new job. Here, it's a little odd that I have scripture up all over my cube and a map of Global Lostness on my wall. I was worried that people would think I am a freak, but I should embrace that. I know Jesus didn't seem normal, and pretty sure the Apostle Paul didn't either-and after all, who should I mold my life after.
Also, the Dr. who spoke last night although a professor at Southern, is an OB/GYN. It was completely enlightening. We learned about different Sanctity of Life issues. When life begins and ends. How we know what to do in irreversible health situations and what different types of contraception actually do. The biology nerd part of me totally loved it. But the little girl with out her daddy in my cried thinking back to the horrible pain he was in and wondering if I could have responded differently. It really made me think about what I would want for myself in those situations, and reminded me how grateful I am for my sister, that she thinks the same way and that I don't really have to explain what I want or why. She just knows.
So, if you were there, I'm sure you got as much out of it as I did. And if not, you should look into buying the CD's. Check it out at www.hsbc.org.

No comments: