Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Give It Away

Blog Action Day 2008
POVERTY

When I learned about this day and started thinking about Poverty-what I've seen, how I feel, what I'm doing in my own life-I was reminded of Africa.

The kids whose parents thought they were fat. But they actually had distended bellies from malnutrition. And whose hair had turned red. Another sign of malnutrition.
The guys on the side of the road whose bodies had been mangled. Some of them as a result of inoculations they received as kids. Some as a result of war. Some born with disabilities.

I have a picture in my head from my time in Nigeria that I promised myself I'd never forget. A picture of young man running as fast as he could down the road to catch up with our van. Only hoping we'd buy a sack of apples. I can't even imagine a need that great.

The Lord has been challenging me lately to "give it away." My money, my time, my resources, my blessings. I'm not sure completely what that means. But as I mentioned in my last post, it's brought someone new into my life through Compassion International.

I was blessed to have the opportunity to meet Michelle Tolentino, a graduate of the Compassion Program. Such a sweet spirit, and amazing story of how the Lord changed her life by removing her from poverty and showing her His love through the program and her relationship with her sponsor. She's a student at Moody Bible Institute and isn't able to work while she's in school. She truly challenged me by sharing with me that she gave up half of her meal plan at the school cafeteria to sponser her second child through the program.

Check out what Compassion does here, and pray about becoming part of a child's life...




1 comment:

Senegal Daily said...

Hi AD

Thanks for participating.

The image of the boy running as fast as he could to sell you a bag of apples brought back so many memories. Thank you for the reminder.