Monday, March 28, 2005

Taking a Chance

So, I did something really risky today. Only I didn't realize how risky it was until I got home and told my mom about it.
At work today I had to work on a project for an abortion clinic. I have worked on stuff for them before and it really bothered me, but I guess I had just been hoping that it wouldn't come up again. But today it did. And it was too much for me. I finished the project. And then I wrote a letter to my owners explaining to them how I feel about it. I explained to them that I know that abortion is sin and that working on these projects I feel like I am not only supporting the sin but also a part of it. I told them that out of respect for them I wanted to share my heart and not just tell them that I refuse to work on projects for the clinic. And that, out of respect for me, I hoped that whenever possible they would not ask me to be a part of any future projects.
When I told my mother about it she said, "You know they will probably fire you". I said I didn't think they could fire me over religious beliefs, but apparently small businesses have different regulations. For about half a second I was scared-what would I do if I lost my job. But then before I could even complete the thought the Lord whispered to me-"It's better to lose your job doing what I asked you to do than to keep your job by support the sin of others."

Romans 12.1,2
A Living Sacrifice

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

No comments: