Saturday, January 24, 2009

things you may not know

I almost left public school to go to the Alabama School of Fine Arts.
I was a dancer...and pretty dang good.
But I didn't want to forfeit a good science education. I wanted to be a doctor.
I stopped dancing in middle school and went back for a while in high school.
I still wonder how my life would have been different if I kept dancing...

After spending my almost my whole life in the Southern Baptist church...
I am no longer Southern Baptist.
I'll become officially Anglican in February.
Not that I really think denominations mean anything, but its a better fit for me.

I entered college as a sophomore.
I also entered as a pre-Med major.
I wanted to be a pediatric oncologist and work at St. Jude's.
Then my daddy got cancer.

Since I got back from Africa in 2004, I've lived in 10 different places.
And had 12 jobs.
But I'm only on my 2nd car of my whole life.

I have a degree in Wildlife Science.
No, I never plan to do anything with it.
I thought I might go to vet school.
Then I knew God was calling me overseas after school and none of it seemed to matter.

My dad only ever recommended one book to me.
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee.
I still haven't read it.
I've Netflix-ed the movie and should get it next week.

3 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

I think this is my favorite of your posts. I loved getting to know you a bit more.

Anglican? Wildlife science? 12 moves? This is interesting stuff, AD.

penny said...

the first car my husband ran over in our driveway ...that is what you got for hanging out with me!!! sorry!!! :)

Peggy said...

i'm with kari on this one. this is totally my favorite post. and you have me beat on places you've lived since being back, but i totally am giving you a race on jobs. i had 5 in 2008 alone. mwah-ha-ha.