Monday, January 28, 2008

shopping in the land of excess

I remember my first trip to Target when I got home from Africa. It was on the way home from the Atlanta airport. I needed deodorant and wanted to brush my teeth-ASAP (b/c of my emergency exit I left all the necessities of life behind).

Standing on the deodorant isle, I looked at my sister and told her to just pick something. There were way too many choices. We'd be there all day. Same thing for the toothbrush and toothpaste.

Funny how I still get that same feeling every time. Sensory overload. Take yesterday for example. A day when I really couldn't afford anything besides what I went for.

Things I found that I do not need:
a really cool girly black trench coat
eyeshadow
club chair??
dishes
swimsuit
deep conditioner for my hair

Things I needed but couldn't find:
pants in my size: khaki or black
short sleeve polo: white or black
toothbrush: small and soft (which apparently is an anomaly)

Things I made it out of the store with:
mouthwash
mascara
toothbrush (soft, but not small)
giant bottle of Tylenol
face cream
a sense of pride for only buying what I came for

1 comment:

mrs. darling said...

Is it possible that all this time I have never known the circumstances upon which you left Africa? I had no idea you also left in haste...

I remember my first trip to Target, I felt like puking from sensory overload. And to this day when I go to Target I feel overwhelmed and the need to inspect every single aisle. It's weird. Sometimes I feel odd that all this time has passed and I still feel this way about Africa/America. It comforts me to know I'm not alone in it...